[linux-audio-user] Midi keyboard problems with Ensoniq (ens1371) card

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Sep 1 15:40:38 EDT 2006

My midi keyboard (Evolution MK-225C) works fine when using the USB connection
with my Audigy2 soundblaster card.  Someone on the Fedora list is having a
problem with using the midi/gameport for his keyboard with an Ensoniq
(ens1371) card.  I tried the keyboard on my other machine that has an Ensoniq
card. First using the USB connection, which works ok, and secondly using the
midi cable which connects to the soundcards gameport. Big problems here.

Qjackctl shows in it's midi connections, a midi plug followed by
64:ES1371-Rawmidi 0.  Connecting this to ZynAddSubFx produces no output.

I then installed kmidimon from planetccrma. when I connect kmidimon through
qjackctl's midi connections I get 2 instances of.
5003    0:1 ALSA Port subscribed      64:0       130:0

If I then play a few notes on the keyboard, and then switch the keyboard off
with it's power switch, I get on kmidimon.

64:0  Note off         1          0     0

So there seems to be some sort of connectivety between the keyboard and the
machine by the midi connection.

I freely admit that I'm not clued up on midi, but this keyboard has allways
worked ok using the USB connection, but is having problems when using the
midi cable through the gameport of the Ensoniq card.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Nigel.