[linux-audio-user] M-Audio 1010LT and Pulsar mic (and jackd and SuSE 10.0)

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Fri Sep 1 23:54:51 EDT 2006

Folks,

  I basically have three questions that I managed to wrap up in a lot
of words.  Here they are.

  I finally started to get things going towards having a PC for
recording music.  So I got a M-Audio 1010LT.  I'm using SuSE 10.0, so
it was only a matter of selecting the card in Yast to have it going
with envy24control.  I also got a pair of M-Audio speakers, the Studio
Pro 3 kind and although I like them (makes a great change from what I'm
used to so far i.e. a flurry of Creative speakers) one of them is not
working so I'll return them to the stop and since they don't seem to
have any other I'll end up getting the M-Audio DX4 speakers.

  Anyhow, I also got a M-Audio Pulsar mic for the accoustic guitars I
have.  Upon reading the booklet that comes along, I found out that it
needs what's called a phantom 48v power supply.  I presume the 1010LT
does not deliver that, so it's basically useless to try to connect the
mic directly to one of the mic input of the card, is it ?  I have to
get a 'box' that supplies this power supply.  Are these boxes
outputting through a XLR jack or will I use a RCA input of the 1010LT
for the mic ?

  Also, does any one have a link on how to setup jack for a SuSE 10.0
system ?  Starting one of the jack applications complains that jack
is not there.  Yast does not seem to have anything about it.

  And finally, now that I get good sound from the speaker (singular at
the moment!) can I also get treeble/bass/EQ control of that sound ?
Looks like envy24control does not have these settings.

Cheers,
Al