[linux-audio-user] Lashd won't start.

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sun Sep 3 13:47:57 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 11:51 +0300, juuso.alasuutari at tamperelainen.org
wrote:
> Quoting Forest Bond <forest at alittletooquiet.net>:
>
> > > Anyone seen this before? Happens when I try to start lashd.
> > >
> > > brian at grace ~ $ lashd
> > > No supported SIMD instruction sets detected
> > > Connected to JACK server with client name 'LASH_Server'
> > > Opened ALSA sequencer with client ID 129
> > > conn_mgr_start: could not look up service name: Servname not supported
> > > for ai_socktype
> > > loader_run: server closed socket; exiting
> > > Segmentation fault
> >
> > This is usually what happens if you are missing the appropriate line in
> > /etc/services (lashd shouldn't crash when this happens, but does.)
>
> I'm the other one suffering from this bug, although I don't get that
> conn_mgr_start message before the segfault. Also on my box lashd stays up and
> quiet until I try to run any client.
>
> I have this in /etc/services:
>   lash    14541/tcp    # LASH client/server protocol
> That should be about right, no?

Actually I think these are two different bugs.

As far as the /etc/services thing, I think I'm going to drop that entry,
join the 21st century and use ZeroConf (via Avahi) to solve this problem
(which is exactly the problem zeroconf was meant to solve) - bonus
points for working over a network as well, which /etc/services doesn't.

If anyone has any serious objections to Lash depending on Avahi, speak
now or forever hold your peace...

-DR-