[linux-audio-user] Axiom 25 keyboard

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Fri Sep 8 18:03:18 EDT 2006

Folks,

  To complete my base audio setup I got a M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboard.
The small size makes it easy to fiddle (no pun) around with apps using
both the machine keyboard and this music keyboard at the same desk,
without moving the chair.

  Getting it out of the box I noticed the paper about setting it up on
Windows.  About 10 steps in small print.  Sheesh.  And then me with
Linux. Was I looking at a yet 3-day installfest ?  Fortunately, not.  I
plugged the USB cable of the thing, started Jack, et voilá, it simply
appeared and was ready to be connected to Zyn.

  One funny thing to add on this is that the Axiom documentation
(which has nothing on Linux) troubleshooting section mentions that it
can be that the keyboard at one point eventually stops working.  In that
case it is said that Windows users should re-install the driver.

  Well, you know, I still have to see the day when a Linux kernel module
that is perfectly working stops to do so !

  On with the question.

  I'd like to use the rotary knobs for interesting things such as
changing some of the so many parameters of the Zyn synth.  Is
this possible ?  Is it possible with another synth ?

  Anyone out there using those Axiom rotary knobs in creative ways ?

  And, is it possible to use the play/stop/backward/forward buttons with
Ardour or MuSE ?

Cheers,
Al