[linux-audio-user] sound recording application

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.edu
Fri Sep 8 19:56:42 EDT 2006

Hi,

> If you use ecasound as I recommended (and not the much less reliable
> arecord that's all the rage in this thread's recent mails), you can
> just replace .wav with .ogg in your command line and you will get a
> compressed ogg-file recording instead. Same with mp3, if you have
> configured an encoder in ecasoundrc.

Could you explain what you mean with "much less reliable" ?
I often use arecord, and find it very reliable.

I have never used ecasound, and since I often use arecord and oggenc
in different settings, piping them together was the logical solution
for me... And frankly, I find my arecord / oggenc oneliner (even
simpler than I wrote in the first place, thanks to Paul Davis pointing
out the -d flag) rather clear and straightforward. So, rather than
learning a new application, I combine two I already know, including
their command line arguments. And I could easily add other applications
to the chain.

arecord -f cd -d 14400 | oggenc -q 6 -o 4hours.ogg -
arecord -f cd -d 14400 | lame -q 6 - 4hours.mp3

Anyway, as often, many ways to accomplish the same task!

maarten