[linux-audio-user] Intel Dual Core vs. AMD64

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Mon Sep 11 23:53:03 EDT 2006

On Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:17:31PM -0600, Arthur Moore wrote:
> I'm looking at getting a new laptop for audio production (current
> system is pentium IIIM 1.3Ghz, 512 M memory, 5200 RPM hard drive,
> Presonus Firepod running with FreeBob , not really cutting it). I'm
> wondering what people's opinions about the Intel dual core vs. an
> AMD64 bit processor, both with 2GB of memory, and a 100GB 7200 RPM
> hard drive. From my limited understanding the dual core is like a dual
> processor (maybe?) running in parallel. It seems to me that the dual
> core would be better than the AMD64 for audio production.

they arent mutually exclusive. there are dual-core AMD64 chips, in mobile and desktop versions (mainly the voltage is different), ad there arr dual-core Core2Duo chips, which are intel's version of amd64.

generally the intel chipsets have much better linux drivers, for the time being. especially wrt video, wireless, etc