[linux-audio-user] Intel Dual Core vs. AMD64

Robert Jonsson rj at spamatica.se
Tue Sep 12 12:31:51 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 18:09, Chris Abbott wrote:
> I want to get my two cents in. Get an AMD 64-bit X2. The X2 is the
> dual-core series of AMD, if I'm not mistaken. Also keep in mind Intel
> keeps stealing stuff from AMD, such as the 64-bit technology.

While it is true that intel is threading in amd's foot steps, calling it
stealing is, well, just wierd. Actually it's a good thing as it brings a
level compatibility between the chips.
It's not as if amd has ever copied intel, more like that's the norm. Still amd
of late has delivered great cpus.

As for the original question, what to chose, having been burnt more times than
I can count (I can't count that good though) I'd be cautious with any of
these platforms. Linux support for new hardware is still nowhere near where
it should be.
I currently own an AMD X2 system and I have struggled with it for along time
now, for the moment it has won over me and am running a single core kernel
which seems to solve most problems. Effectively this halves the possible
performance...

As for Intel Core2 Duo, they get rave reviews lately for outstanding
performance, still I'd be cautious until it's proven that this also relates
to linux audio. It is not a given.
Traditionally intel processors are subject to more severe denormal problems, I
don't know if that is still true for core2.

Regards,
Robert

--
http://spamatica.se/musicsite/