[linux-audio-user] Song (i.e. project) managers ?

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 03:24:07 EDT 2006

Lars Luthman wrote:

> I've written the LASH patch for Zyn. I'd be happy to try to fix any bugs
> you find if I can reproduce them.

Ok, here's a repost of what I wrote. Meanwhile I moved on a bit (changed
from ubuntu to debian on that new laptop), so I cannot reproduce it
right now, since my zyn is not patched. This was posted here on
2006-08-12, I got two replies none of which were really helpful in
solving my problem, which is why I let it go.

Hi

I spend most of last night playing with LASH. I patched zyn, specimen
and seq24 and also use lash_panel + patchage.

However I have a problem. Often (almost precisely every other time)
closing a session will make some
programs (mostly zynaddsubfx) hang. They can't be killed with xkill or
killall. If zyn is the hanging program it will still appear in
qjackctl's midi connection. This will also take jack  and lashd down,
and this is output to the terminal where lashd was started:

Project jesus_kristus removed
LASH event: LASH_Quit
Disconnected from Jack
Disconnected from Alsa
[JACK sync disabled]
Writing [/home/atte/.seq24rc]
JACK error: zombified - calling shutdown handler
jack_mgr_shutdown_cb: JACK server shut us down; telling server to quit
Cleaning up
zombified - calling shutdown handler
cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Connection reset by peer)
cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Connection reset by peer)
JACK error: cannot send request type 7 to server
JACK error: cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
jack_mgr_destroy: could not deactivate jack client
JACK error: cannot send request type 7 to server
JACK error: cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)
Finished

So I figure it's a problem with lash in zynaddsubfx (if I only use
specimen it seems to work very reliable). My questions are:

1) Is there a way to really kill a hanging zynaddsubfx, when killall and
xkill won't work?

2) Does anyone have lash working reliable with seq24, sepcimen and
zynaddsubfx? Which lash patches did you apply to which version, and did
you have to do anything else? What distro? How do you start jack and
lash? Which kernel?

3) I tried with both lash patched I could find
(zyn-2.2.1-lash-jackmidi-060605.diff and zyn_lash-0.5.0pre0.diff) with
ZynAddSubFX-2.2.1.tar.bz2. Is there something newer/better/different I
should try?

4) Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe it's something completely
different...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte