[linux-audio-user] Re: songs /songs/ </songs>

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 05:37:04 EDT 2006

2006/9/18, Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org>:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 23:45:28 +0200
> Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen at skynet.be> wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 08:12:57PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > > Yep, JAPA is great. I use it to calibrate PA's here.
> > I'm flattered :-)

Wishlist item: Noise generator (White and pink?) for JAPA! So I don't
have to start JAAA too...

> > > But more and more
> > > I learn not to rely on this apps and visualizers, because you will
> > > listen to the music and not see it. ;-)
> > > And a straight line in JAPA doesn't really tell you wether the bass
> > > (as an instrument) is to loud or that some frequencies from the guitar
> > > are to loud while it still fits into a linear spectrum of your
> > > music...
> > I agree 100% with this. Mixing should be done 'by ear' and nothing else.
> > The only danger is that it takes very little time to get used to a bad
> > spectral balance or some particular coloration, and almost always turning
> > some filter gain up _seems_ to improve things. It takes some training
> > or experience to avoid falling in this trap.
> I agree with that, but would add that when I get something laid down
> and think I'm satisfied with it, I then check it on a pair of average
> headphones, my home stereo, and the car CD player. This can be very
> revealing and is a real-world test.

I check my mix agin on the next day. And I listen to my normal music
in between to get the feeling back... (Don't have a car or a normal
home stereo.)

Arnold

--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/