[linux-audio-user] Re: sound recording application

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Sep 18 10:15:45 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 13:30 +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> Ardour as a recorder wonders me: does Ardour add a dither noise to
> the recording? The audio card may already add the dither and second
> dither only adds to the noise.

no audio interface i have ever heard of does dithering. ardour does
dithering only on export to a bit-reduced disk file (e.g. 16 bit sample
format). ardour attempts (and generally succeeds) at being a perfect
bits-in = bits-out. jack offers dithering options but only if the user
requests them and even then only if the h/w format is bit-reduced from
the implicit 24 bit format of 32 bit floating point. and of course,
dithering by jack is only on output.

--p