[linux-audio-user] Realtime kernel does not boot

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Wed Sep 20 11:52:55 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm having problems booting realtime kernels on two different machines.
One is an IBM Thinkpad X21 with a 700MHz P3, the other one is a desktop
machine with an AMD Duron, also at 700MHz.
Apart from the fact that both machines are about the same age, they don't
seem to have much in common. However, both fail to boot at the same
point.

On both machines, the last messages of the kernel of are along the lines
of:

PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:08.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:0b.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:01:00.0
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 0000:00:08.1
NET: Registered protocol family 2

Then it just stops. I've tried many different kernel versions (2.6.17-rt8,
2.6.17-rt5, even as far back as 2.6.13-rt14), to no avail. I also tried
turning ACPI and APIC on/off, which didn't help either. Now I'm at a
loss... The same kernels boot just fine on a more recent machine.

What else can I try, or how do I find out where exactly (and why) it
hangs? Is anyone successfully running a realtime kernel on a similarly old
machine?

Thanks,
    Dominic