[linux-audio-user] Re: Do I need a preamp for the SoundBlaster Live?

Iain Duncan iainduncan at telus.net
Thu Sep 21 02:45:09 EDT 2006

> > On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 00:07 +0200, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> >> However, since you are willing to invest in a pre-amp, you might want to
> >> consider getting a sound card that is geared at pro recording, that
> >> INCLUDES a pre-amp. This is the path I have chosen, full analog signal
> >> chain integration (tm).
> >
> > Full analog signal bullsh**.
> > "Pro recording" and cards with integrated mic preamps do not mix. That's
> > bang-for-the-buck amateur recording, not "pro".

> > 2. Sound quality
> > The majority of the preamps integrated in sound cards are in the low end
> > of the quality spectrum. The best ones are somewhere in the midrange.
> > There is no high-end mic preamp integrated with a sound card, unless you
> > include in the "sound card" category some multichannel mixing consoles
> > connected digitally to a workstation (and even then some of them are
> > pretty average when it comes to their integrated mic preamps).
> > If you're not satisfied with the quality of the integrated preamp, and
> > you're sure it's the preamp (not the mic, not something else), then it's
> > time to shop around.

Presonus is the notable exception to the above, and one of the only
firewire cards with linux support. Check the reviews in Sound on Sound
or other pro engineering mags. I would honestly say that if you want to
go mic->pre->card for under a grand total, they are the way to go. The
pres on the presonus are *better* than on most small mixing boards by
quite a bit. Of course they are not going to stack up against external
dedicated pres. In that case, I'd say the FMR really nice pre is the
best bet, especially combined with the RNC and RNLA ( Really Nice
Compressor and Really Nice Levelling Amplifier. ) But truthfully, I
don't think a sub $500 mic needs a pre better than the ones on the
presonus cards. They are way better than the similar offerings from
M-Audio or Edirol.

Hope that is helpful
Iain