[linux-audio-user] Command line tool for sending SysEx to a syhtn?

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 12:03:41 EDT 2006

On 9/21/06, Michael Schnurpfeil <m_schnurpfeil at rosenberger.de> wrote:
> you can use amidi from the alsa-utils.
> type 'amidi -l' to find out where your synth is connected. you may see
> something like this:
>
>   Device    Name
>   hw:0,0    M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI
>   hw:2,0,0  your_synth
>
> with 'amidi -p hw:2 -s preset1.syx' you can send sysex to  your synth.
>
> Mike

I used this tool to upgrade my Roland XV-3080's OS in the past.  The
update was a mass of sysex files.  amidi worked perfectly, without any
fuss.

On Debian, I can't remember if the alsa-tools or alsa-utils package
has amidi in it, but it is one of those.  Good luck.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com