[linux-audio-user] Solved: flash movie buffering problems

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Sep 22 02:43:30 EDT 2006

Hi,

Yesterday while I was researching how to get flash movies to load very
quickly I came across some detailed explanations of the buffer problem
that so many people get when watching flash movies.

Apparently it is widely known that streaming from a server where the
movie has to be fully cached in local memory while downloading causes
buffering problems in movies over 2 minutes long.

The official Macromedia solution is to use their closed source streaming
server which allows much greater flexibility and control of the stream
while also preventing the file from being cached in local memory so it
is harder to rip or copy.

This leaves me with the question: Is the buffering problem for movies >
2 min a design flaw or feature?

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.