[linux-audio-user] Realtime kernel does not boot

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Sep 22 11:27:44 EDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 04:33:51PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:

> What's wrong with it?  People keep making these vague statements that
> the -rt kernel is unstable, but I haven't seen any details.

When I tried 2.6.17-rt2 on a machine with a heavy load (uptime would
report from 2.7 to over 3.0, top would show one process consistantly
using about 70% of the CPU power) the machine would lock up without
printing out a single warning, trace, or giving any evidence about what
it was that locked up.  There was nothing printed to the serial console
that I could go on.  So, any complaints I could make about it would be
vague.  I could describe the system load, but it would probably be
atypical for most linux audio people.  Further, I had also patched the
kernel with a non-official bigphysarea patch.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/