[linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Fri Sep 22 14:33:04 EDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:25:00 -0700
iainduncan at telus.net wrote:

> Gaaah! I haven't had to install a new linux in ages, and now am faced with doing
> so. Is it just me, or is the state of linux pro audio on the major distros a
> total mess right now? Fedora core 5 seems to require MUCH tweaking to get any
> audio working and has a lot of alsa weirdness preventing serious work,
> Ubuntu just plain doesn't work with numerous cards ( including mine! ) and
> gentoo took a giant step backwards by rushing a broken and not ready 2006.1
> installer out the door negating all the advantages they used to have.
>
> Am I the only one who feels like getting pro audio working these days is
> *harder* than two years ago??? It seems to me that in the race to make a distro
> that has everything working out of the box, we now have a bunch of things that
> are really screwed up for those of us with unusual needs, and now they are much
> harder to untangle. =(
>
> Any recos for a distro that must:
> - be decent for development
> - allow easy integration of from source apps with the distro
> - be realtively straightforward for audio kernel recompiles
>
> Thanks
> Iain

So far, the best results I've had are from Debian based 64studio (32 bit
version).

Does all the audio stuff very well, and with not too much tweaking I
seem to be able to get most office type stuff organised.

Strangely enough, although in the UK I find the German 'testing'
repositories seem more complete.

--
Will J G