[linux-audio-user] Distros these days? What a mess!

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Sat Sep 23 08:47:43 EDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
Drucer Ninetynine <drucer99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Interesting message. You know - I had somewhat similar
> thoughts at some point. Then I stopped worrying,
> learned a lot and jumped into the driver's seat. I
> ditched every distro that I had tried - all of them
> had this or that feature that annoyed me. I installed
> LFS, learned a lot of things and I have to tell you
> that it has given me the best desktop OS experience
> ever.

At this point I still have to figure out this 64/32 bits library setup
thing before I go back to LFS (maybe reading the mailing list would be
a good start). I guess I could natively build a 64 bits LFS using a 64
bits distro like SuSE, but the chip supports 32 bits and it seems some
apps are simply not used to 64 bits environment for compiling and
running. If I was going XScale or PPC or something then I'd expect
limitations, but not on the AMD X2.

> There is hardly anything that annoys me now. It's more
> or less a smooth ride now. Like I've said - the
> ingredients are out there to make one helluva audio
> system - it's just a matter of getting it all together.

Yes indeed !  I really liked the years I used LFS.  This is where I
first compiled and ran MuSE a couple of years ago.  And the stability
of the system is impressive because you get to make things run for you
so you don't put a zillion unedded processes and modules, as well as a
myriad of cases in bootscripts. Not so with SuSE, for instance.  I
switch (and bought) a commercial distro in 2005 to see what it's like
to jump on the big mainstream Linux bandwagon.  And athough all the
glitter is at the rendez-vous, there are significant instances of
instability.  Nevertheless I'm impressed with a distro such as SuSE
10.0 (10.1 not !).  Hopefully the good folks at Jacklab will put out a
clear and stable way of incorporating the Linux Audio suite of
applications in the near future.

Cheers.
Al