[linux-audio-user] Solved: flash movie buffering problems

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Sep 23 13:47:26 EDT 2006

On Saturday 23 September 2006 11:20, Lee Revell wrote:
> What's wrong with embedded .mpg or .wmv, other than being easy
> to download (or "pirate" if you talk to the content people).
> Those work on a much wider range of OSes than Flash.

MPEG-1 would be unwatchable at the bandwidth Youtube uses.  WMV
using WMP codecs is only playable on my Linux box if I pirate
some Windows code.  (I'd settle for embedded MPEG-4 AVI's,
though.)  Flash sucks, but it is here and it's legal, even if
it's not free software.

Whoever said Flash was just a bunch of XML in a container like
SVG was wrong, I think; that's like what Flash would have been
like 10 years ago if XML had been around.  Actionscript may just
be Javascript, but the objects it exposes start with vectors and
animation and go way off from there.  SVG also has no sound
support, and since this thread started by talking about sound
sync problems in Flash, it's clearly not a suitable replacement
as things stand now.  That SMIL or whatever it was a couple
years ago that was supposed to provide audio capabilities
through Javascript doesn't seem to have taken off, to the point
where people are even using Flash just to stream MP3's.

There will be a day when all browsers will have SVG, canvas
support, inbuilt access to video codecs or a standardized
interface to video player plugins, audio support, some kind of
synchronization framework, and a development environment that
entices designers to use all those technologies together, like
Flash has now.  Probably it'll have a catchy acronym like Ajax
to sell it as well.  That day will be far enough in the future
that I can't see it.

In the meantime, I look forward to the eventual maturity of
Gnash.

Rob