[linux-audio-user] ANN: bristol 0.9.5-60

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Sun Sep 24 19:36:04 EDT 2006

Hello,

thanks for the new version, have to check out.

> The net output of the synth is reminiscent of the sounds from the BBC
> Radiophonic Workshop's greatest ever hit - the theme tune to 'Dr Who'.
> If you don't know what that is don't worry, it's perhaps a bit obscure.
> The original was composed on the elder brother of this synth - the ARP
> 2500 of which the BBC had a few, so the results came as a pleasant
> surprise.

?

The theme was produced around 1963 before the ARP was available, it was
realized by the incredible Delia Derbyshire with the help of some
oscillators, filters and in the first place, tape splicing techniques.
Maybe later renditions are created with an ARP but more likly on a
Synthi 100 (the model at BBC was dubbed Delaware) which is actually a
modular synth.

Check out

http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/

EMS Synthis with patch cords are the Synthi Logic and Synthi E

http://www.emsrehberg.de/SYNTHI__s/synthi__s.html

but I guess most of the wirednes of the Synthis came from the
patchmatrix which might introduce lot of crosstalk.
When you simulate the MS20 filter I think you are rather close to the
EMS one. In a simular league the WASP might be too..

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

next events:
elektronengehirn exhibition, lecture + concert @ Piksel 2006, Bergen,
Norway 12.-15. october

more at blog 4, also available as rss feed:
http://java.block4.com/blog4/