[linux-audio-user] Re: ANN: bristol 0.9.5-60

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Mon Sep 25 06:47:57 EDT 2006

On Monday 25 September 2006 01:58, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> >1. This new version seems to always load two instances of the requested
> >synth:
>
> Hm. I have never seen this. What is the output from 'which startBristol'?

I was doing startBristol locally ./startBristol. The previous version is
on /usr/local/bin.

> >2. After the sounds of the previous one are still active.
>
> Multiitimbral. How did you close the synth window? If you do it with ^C, or
> destroy the window then  I do not always have a change to remove the synth
> from the engine. It then lingers on the same midi channel. This was half
> intentional, to allow for multitimbral support, but killing the GUI from
> the window titlebar should result in a graceful remove of the emulation as
> well as the GUI.

I will retry this. I believe I clicked the title-bar [x] to close them. GUI
disappeared, sounds did not.

> >4. Some of the synths get no sound.
>
> Ah, that may have been me. Some of the default synth memories have volume
> set to zero - I needed to use them to test the ARP 2600 which has no
> keyboard. The up/down memory keys should load the first available one. I
> will fix this in the next upload, it may also be an issue with a late
> enhancement: the -load <memory index> will allow you to set the first
> memory location. Default value is 'zero', but some of the synths do not
> have a memory number zero since they take 'bank' numbers that start from
> '1'.

I noticed this as well. Maybe I just could not figure out how to work them. I
needed to set the volume on those that did work. Setting a patch go another
to work. Others, no success but that might be me. Never used the real ones.