[linux-audio-user] Linux-friendly portable music player?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Sep 25 20:16:23 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:26:07PM -0500, Peter Finnegan wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 16:22 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 16:16 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > > If I was shopping again today, I don't know what I'd buy.  AFAICT,
> > > iriver has no replacement model with the same features :-( I *need* the
> > > external mic input, and I now have so many OGGs that it'd be annoying to
> > > switch to anything that doesn't play them.
> >
> > iaudio ... they do almost everything right. nitpicks: record to MP3
> > format when WAV or OGG should be an option. we have an X5 and a smaller
> > 2GB flash player.
> >

> I second the iaudio (also known as jetaudio).  My iaudio U2 just
> accidentally went through the wash and worked like a champ afterword
> (other than needing a battery charge).  Firmware upgrades are free, but
> have to be done from windows, unless someone has figured out a way to do
> it from linux.

It looks pretty nice! Except for only supporting line-level external
sources AFAICT.  The iriver with my AT Pro 24 battery-powered mic is the
best rehearsal / jam recorder I've had. I'd rather not have to hassle
with any more external gear for my needs.

for example... not the best mp3 encoding but still good for a
point-the-mic-at-the-band-and-forget-it solution that weighs about a
pound total.  I have better recordings from later rehearsals but haven't
uploaded them anywhere...
http://www.slinkp.com/~paul/wrp/rehearsals/2006_05_22_1/16_tailspin.mp3

--

Paul Winkler