[linux-audio-user] Linux-friendly portable music player?

Brendon Oliver brendon.oliver at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 05:55:33 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 27 September 2006 07:40, lanas wrote:

> Depends what 'economical' means.  I recently bought a iRiver T30 1 GB
> for some $110 USD. It can play ogg files.  Works with Linux, using
> gphoto (libgphoto2). Copy voice files from it (has a recorder built-in,
> nice feature to make your boss remember things he said) and put ogg (and
> mp3) files in it. Sound is nice.
>
> With Linux I use gphoto (libgphoto2) as root to access files.  Could be
> simpler I guess, but I'm lazy, so I copy/paste commands.  One of these
> days I'll make a userland Perl interface.

Just curious, why do you need to mess with libgphoto2 in order to access your
T30?  I have a 1Gb T20 and it presents as a USB mas-storage device.  On my
system:

mount -t vfat /dev/sdc /mnt/{mountpoint}

and it's accessible just like an ordinary disk partition (yes, /dev/sdc is
correct for me btw - it's not a typo, it requires no partition number).  I
would have expected a T30 to work the same way...

cheers,

- brendon.