[linux-audio-user] Scriptable/patchable VSTs

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Sep 28 06:50:18 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I never thought I'd be asking this on the LAU list, but here goes. My
favorite GPL composition application of all time, Modplug Tracker,
recently started working perfectly in Wine on Linux (FOSS in FOSS
on FOSS!). I've been writing some tunes with it, and it's good
to have this old friend back again. Because it's a Winblows app,
it supports VSTs out of the box, but I find that I am missing the
algorithmic/scripting/patching tools like Csound, puredata, etc. that I've
had to use to compose for the last few years since I left modplug on that
other OS. So my question is this; does anyone know of a VST that allows
you to script or patch effects on the fly? I know that you can run Pd as
a VST but I think it's kind of complicated to get it running, and I can't
seem to find any links about it any more. Same thing with Csound, and
I think CsoundVST is now dead. I'd prefer something Free and open source.

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx