[linux-audio-user] Making impulse responses

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Apr 1 05:57:07 EDT 2007

 On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 11:47:24PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 07:14:53PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> > Any special tricks or tips for making impulse responses?
> >
> > I see that chuck has a ugen called "impulse" that makes
> > single-sample little impulse glitches. I suppose I'd use that to
> > generate one, then play it through speakers or something.
>
> I tried that once, it didn't work.  The single-sample-impulse
> supposedly works well when feeding eg. a digital reverb, but when I
> tried to feed it into speakers, I didn't hear anything at all.  YMMV.

That's why I wrote Aliki ! It uses logarithmic sweeps - the method
pioneerd by Farina. See my LAC2006 paper for the background.

If youd don't need a 'real' room for a reverb but just some nice
effect, then any decaying burst of noise will work. Generate it
using your favourite softsynth. This way you can also make 'gated'
or 'reverse' reverb etc.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !