[LAU] PATA or SATA? Yonah or Merom?

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 01:22:42 EDT 2007

The difference between SATA and PATA doesn't matter all that much on a
laptop. The best thing you can do for performance is go with a 7200 RPM
laptop drive if you are into recording. Laptop drives - especially the 4800
RPM ones - are quite slow.

My take on PATA is that it's going to be around for a good long while yet,
and not only is it generally cheaper than SATA, the controllers have better
software support. This opinion, is, however, based on year old data, and a
sample size of two - my opteron machine's PATA controller is easily 40%
faster than it's SATA controller as it's SATA doesn't support queued
commands - and my laptop is WAY faster since I slammed the 7200 RPM drive
in.

On 4/3/07, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:

Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge