[LAU] What was the audio generator used by Hawkwind?

Gordon JC Pearce wsynth at gjcp.net
Wed Apr 4 04:44:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 20:33 +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know what the "audio generator" was that Hawkwind used to
> use on albums like Space Ritual (one of the best albums ever!).
>
> It produced sweeping, oscillating tones. I'd be interested to know
> exactly what it was generating.
>
> Is there anything like it on Linux?

It's described in a book I have about Hawkwind as a piece of test
equipment.  This makes me wonder if it was perhaps just an audio
function generator - maybe sine, square and triangle wave output.

The sounds were achieved by passing its output through various effects
like fuzzboxes, wahwah pedals and tape echoes.

Gordon