[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- music isjustone path

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Apr 4 13:48:46 EDT 2007

> > apparent that all sounds have beauty that simply needs to be uncovered
> > regardless of their source. This art is also known as acousmatic music
> (or a
> > sound removed from its source).
>
> I don't buy that.  Factories and machinery have vibrations created and
> enforced by hundreds of forces working at different rates and in
> different directions, caused by objects that were assembled with very
> little regard for the sound they made.  A song bird actually hears
> what it is doing, and makes patterns based on the sound.

I invite you to please read then more on the topic of acousmatic music.
FWIW, what exactly constitutes a pattern? If there is a rhythmic vibration
of an industrial piece of machinery, how is that different (from a
"definition" standpoint) from a rhythmic drumming? I think you are mixing up
pattern with cognition. But even if we consider cognition as a point of
contention, the machinery has a purpose and a role and as such its
manifestation is not meaningless at all.

Best wishes,

Ico