[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- music is justone path

Marcos Guglielmetti marcospcmusica at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 21:14:20 EDT 2007

El Mié 04 Abr 2007 15:50, Charles Linart escribió:
 | .>>To put it bluntly if every morning you were
 | .>>being prematurely woken up by a beautiful bird song of a bird who lives
 | on a .>>tree next to your window, I am pretty sure that you would
 | eventually learn .>>to dislike that sound as much as you currently dislike
 | the sound of your .>>alarm clock.
 |
 | Speaking from personal experience, I have to disagree.  A life in
 | harmony with nature, directed by nature's rhythm is a happy and
 | beautiful life.  Never been happier than during the period of my life
 | when the rooster was my alarm clock -- never gotten up so early,
 | either.  The reason the alarm clock is so disturbing is that it throws
 | us off that groove.
 |
 | We are a part of nature and any creative expression is a reference to
 | that primal connection.

Good point, so: there is a primal connection really? Also,  factories were
made by humans, and so they are a part of nature, all is part of nature...
so,  factories, cities, cars, etc., have a primal connection too?

 | Maybe that's why music made by human beings
 | can be so pleasing compared to music made by machines.  Sometimes the
 | MIDIfied stuff just sounds like a big, glorified clock to me.

Jajaja, you are right, all those MIDI ringtones from celular phones too...
it's not so beautiful...

 | On 4/4/07, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
 | > > Marcos Guglielmetti escribe:

 | > It seems likely that you don't like these sounds because of their
 | > psychoacoustic association. To put it bluntly if every morning you were
 | > being prematurely woken up by a beautiful bird song of a bird who lives
 | > on a tree next to your window, I am pretty sure that you would
 | > eventually learn to dislike that sound as much as you currently dislike
 | > the sound of your alarm clock. All sounds we are aware of are simply a
 | > combination of sine tones perceptible by our ears. Therefore, the only
 | > difference between a sound of an ocean and a steam engine is ultimately
 | > their "recipe." If you consider all sounds on this, much more equal
 | > plane, then it becomes rather apparent that all sounds have beauty that
 | > simply needs to be uncovered regardless of their source. This art is
 | > also known as acousmatic music (or a sound removed from its source).
 | >
 | > > You've discovered the point. Men are capable of creating beauty but
 | > > unfortunately nature is much more capable. The harder you try to
 | >
 | > My take is that art is our attempt at emulating nature and realizing our
 | > ineptness (pointlessness?) in matching its beauty. For this reason, we
 | > tend to use art as our response (perception?) to nature. In this
 | > respect, man-made contraptions are just another extension of nature and
 | > its laws.
 | >
 | > Ico

Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre
* CD Download: (http://www.musix.org.ar/en/)
* Colabora: http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Musix099_tasks
* Videos, programas y otras cosas en: ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/
* Reporte de errores a:
https://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php?title=Problemas-Bugs
*IRC: #musix channel on freenode
* http://autosus.wordpress.com/

«No te tomes en serio nada que no te haga reír» [un amigo de E. Galeano]