[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustonepath

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Apr 5 13:33:12 EDT 2007

> which is a long winded way of saying that i am left totally unmoved by
> almost every piece of "electro-acoustic music" i've ever heard at a
> contemporary music festival :))

Yet, the concepts challenged during the avant-garde are the ones that shape
the music of today. They are not the norm (thank goodness) but they have
influenced the way we perceive music. And sometimes, that is good enough, as
our music of today is nothing like that of pre-avant-garde. In this respect,
minimalism in part exists only because electroacoustic music existed before
it (e.g. Steve Reich phase music).

Personal tastes aside, electroacoustic music is alive and well. Check out
just about any modern movie soundtrack and suddenly you will realize just
how persistent its influence is.

Best wishes,

Ico