[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty --musicisjustone path

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Apr 5 16:53:23 EDT 2007

> Ok, I agree, I made some music based on modified white noise. But, if i
> make a
> 60 minutes CD with only and just only pure white noise, you will be still
> thinking this is music?

Again, depends upon the context. John Cage wrote a famous piece 4'33" which
is four minutes and 33 seconds of silence in three movements. How about
buying a CD of that one? Yet, its impact on the contemporary music scene is
monumental and it is practically impossible to find a book which discusses
20th century music without mentioning this work.

That being said, no one is preventing you from making such a CD and claiming
it is a work of art. Will I buy it? Most likely not, but that is my choice,
just like yours is to make such a work of art. Either way, none of this
precludes the author from claiming that such creation is a work of art...

Ico