[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Thu Apr 5 17:14:08 EDT 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Thursday 05 April 2007, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:34:23PM -0400, Charles Linart wrote:
> > > There are 12 frequencies of sound that are recognized by the human ear
> > > as musical notes.
> >
> > That's completely wrong. Your recognise notes because you have been
> > conditioned for them. It could be any set of frequencies.
>
> I don't think so. Though the frequency relations used in the scales all
> over this world might differ, almost all do have some relation to the
> natural harmonic series..
>
> So the details might differ, but the big picture is the same  :)

Btw: i do not want to imply that it is impossible to make music with pitch
collections that don't resemble any known scale based on harmonics..

I once played with random frequencies in supercollider. The result is a bit
boring, but has very interesting textures at times..

http://tapas.affenbande.org/boggle_toggle,ogg

So it is very possible to use weird or strange pitch collections, but i
suppose there is something to how harmonics and slight deviations thereof
sound that make them especially appealing to the human listener..

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org