[LAU] Re: Re: Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty -- musicisjustone path

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Apr 5 17:47:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:12:24PM +0200, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> Ken Restivo escribe:

> > IIRC, some of Bach's music was considered too chromatic and
> > dissonant at the time.
>
> I would consider amazing that you Remember Correctly what happened in
> Bach's era. ;)

There are records of this. And you can study the scores and compare
those to others of the same period. Or just listen.

There are other examples of this. Listen to Monteverdi's 'Orfeo'
and will find harmony that became 'not done' in later periods, only
to return again much later.

Carlo Gesualdo di Venosa is another example. His music was judged
'weird' in his time. BTW, today is the ideal day to listen to his
fascinating 'Tenebrae' for maundy thursday. You'll have to dim all
the lights.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !