[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

ico at vt.edu ico at vt.edu
Thu Apr 5 19:16:23 EDT 2007

Quoting Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com>:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 16:53:23 -0400
> "Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
> > Again, depends upon the context. John Cage wrote a famous piece 4'33" which
> > is four minutes and 33 seconds of silence in three movements. How about
> > buying a CD of that one?
> >     . . .
> > That being said, no one is preventing you from making such a CD and
> claiming
> > it is a work of art.
>
> That's not true, the holders of the publishing rights expect their cut:
>   http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2002/07/02/silencea020702.html
>
> Headline:
>   Music publisher claims copyright on silence
>
> And I always thought that ten percent of nothing was nothing.

In this day and age, just about nothing can surprise me anymore. That being
said, please note that my comments are not meant to be used as a salad bar. If
you pick and choose words, you can make anyone sound as if they said just about
anything. In the above post, my first part referred to John Cage, but my latter
statement referred to the hypothetical 60 minutes of white noise...

If everything else fails, please read the actual post ;-)

Best wishes,

Ico