[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 20:10:02 EDT 2007

On 4/5/07, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 01:57:32PM -0400, Charles Linart wrote:
>
> > If notes are notes only because I've been "conditioned" for them, why
> > do the same notes show up in music all over the world?
>
> Simple fact is they don't.

Perfect fifths do.  Octaves do to, maybe to a lesser extent.  Both are
almost ubiquitous, and not all of the cultures using them learned them
from each other.  I think it's more accurate to say that non-notes are
non-notes because we haven't been exposed to them.

> > Whatever the explanation, the bushman and Mozart incorporate the
> > same 12 fundamental harmonics in their music.
>
> No they don't. And there is nothing 'fundamental' to these 12 tones.

I agree.  If there are harmonics common to almost all music, it's more
like 3 or 4 of them than 12.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com