[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:31:25 EDT 2007

> As I've said several times, I don't buy that a jackhammer could ever
> sound as sweet as a songbird; no one will describe them as
> interchangeable.  I don't believe that anyone would say that a
> super-distorted electric guitar - even if they love the sound -
> arouses the same emotional response as a "lyrical" oboe solo.  Certain
> sounds are by nature disruptive, certain sounds are smooth, and no
> amount of conditioning to "like" or "dislike" can change that.
> You are a big fan of putting words in my mouth, and of assuming you're
> the only person who has done any research into music cognition.  Maybe
> that's true in 99% of the groups you find yourself in, but believe me:

Please note that insults do not magically elevate the value of your
argument. Realizing that this matter has now departed the realm of
intellectual discourse and has moved on into a bashfest, why don't we simply
agree to disagree and end this seemingly futile discussion?

FYI, top-posting is generally considered bad manners (and yes, I have been
guilty of this too).

Ico