[LAU] Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty--musicisjustone path

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 04:25:04 EDT 2007

Vince Werber wrote:
> Silence ehhh???  That could be a windfall of bux...
>
> I am sure that copyright of silence would include every CD that has
> 'silence' between any grouping of different tunes...  There IS money to
> be made here!!!  So much for the 'art factor' of such things...
>
> Was it too long ago when a 9th chord was considered 'way out there' even
> in jazz???  It wasn't all that long ago but today a jazz piece without a
> 9th would be considered odd...  hmmmm... what makes that...?
>
> Let's all make music in pure sine waves... I know it has been done but
> has it been taken to it true point of the art???
>
> Has anyone every heard and album by Dick Hymen on the synth?  It was on
> Command records and in the 60's if I remember correctly.  I enjoyed that
> album but it failed in commecial circles so I guess it must be art...

IMHO, it failed in commercial circles for a couple of reasons:

* No one singing (that seems to be a near-unanimous requirement for
commercial success)
* Outside of The Minotaur, the songs are nice but not particularly
standing out.

> He also used scales that broke down our common worldly scales into much
> smaller pieces...

Yes, I have that album here. It's called Moog. He didn't use many
unusual scales in it, although I recall one piece in which the notes in
the scale were a fifth apart. Also, he finishes the album with three
short pieces grouped under the title of "Duets in Odd Meters," where he
was doing things with uncommon meters.

Keith Emerson played "The Minotaur" as part of his extended solo on
ELP's live album, "Welcome Back, My Friends, to the Show That Never
Ends." He never gave credit to Hyman, rude fellow.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community