[LAU] Re: Pops and clicks but no xruns

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Sat Apr 7 22:03:15 EDT 2007

Paul Davis wrote:

>On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 02:00 -0400, Spencer Russell wrote:
>>
>> What could cause clicks without xruns? I'm baffled.

>PCI bus hogging, for one thing. consider running a script like this
>during system startup (mine is in /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcilatency). yours
>would need adjusting to reflect the PCI IDs of the actual interfaces you
>have installed.

>#!/bin/sh

>case $1 in
>     start)
>           # "open up" the PCI bus by allowing fairly long bursts for
>all devices, increasing performance
>           setpci -v -s "*:*.*" latency_timer=b0

>           # maximise latency for RME Hammerfall, thus allowing
>           # more data per PCI transfer and minimizing xfuns
>           setpci -v -s 01:04.0 latency_timer=ff
>           # ditto for the onboard AC97 audio interface
>           setpci -v -s 00:07.5 latency_timer=ff
>esac

Here one that works automatically for all multimedia devices:

# find multimedia devices
pcis=$(lspci -v | grep Multimedia | awk '{ print $1; }')
if test -z "$pcis"; then
  echo WARNING: no multimedia devices found on pci bus
else
  for p in $pcis; do
    echo set maximum latency timer for $p
    setpci -s $p latency_timer=ff