[LAU] MIDI or OSC?

steev mcconville.steve at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:57:34 EDT 2007

As far as DSLs go, Supercollider uses OSC internally. Csound and Pd both
support it, too. Don't know about Chuck, but I'd imagine it either does
or it's high on the to-do list.

> IMNSHO regarding your subject question, I'll would start with MIDI as
> everything else does; e.g., alsa-seq API is a pretty high level

You mean it's historical then? ;)

> abstraction and you'll hardly notice that MIDI 80s byteness ;) Then, some
> way down after, whenever you feel MIDI control space is exhausted, you can
> add OSC for an extension or even substitution.

IMVHO, I think this is a little bit backwards (no pun intended) - if the
API design is limited to MIDI it won't be easy to open it up further but
built with OSC in mind you can expose a subset of it as MIDI.

The only disadvantage (and it is a real one) OSC has is lack of
adoption. I wouldn't recommend choosing MIDI simply because all the
other kids have it and anyway it's not as bad as it used to be :P