[LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Apr 11 08:24:09 EDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2007 schrieb Robin Gareus:
> Arnold Krille wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2007 schrieb Robin Gareus:
> >> If your guitar has a built-in pick up, record it as well. adding *a
> >> little* of those other mics will greatly improve the ambience of many
> >> home- recordings!
> > I tried that on the first track of guitar we recorded. The line-signal is
> > very good for stage-use but in the studio (ie. my living room) compared
> > to mic signals from the tube-mic or one of my condensors its just noisy
> > crap...
> wow you are fast!  or were you referring to past recordings?

I refer to the first recordings of our CD. And while diskspace is cheap, it is
not that easy to edit two tracks with identical contents in the same steps in
ardour. So I decided to ditch the second (and third) opinion. Well, back than
I only had two inputs so it was only the second opinion I ditched. Now, some
months later I have 8 channels at my command but still I prefer the simple
approach.

> I use compressors them *before* digitizing; but that's just because my
> pre-amp & analog equipment is better than the cheap DAC. - for a
> high-end studio equipment pre-recording compression is not an issue.

Hehe, I have to compress after ADC because A) I don't have analog compressors
(to pricey), B) my ADCs are of presonus-quality and C) I think the SC4 from
Steve Harris is a rather good compressor.
Only reason for me to get a compressor would be limiting before ADC to not
overshoot digital range. But I will buy another microphone before that. ;-)

/me should get back to work...

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/