[LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Wed Apr 11 09:52:49 EDT 2007

Robin Gareus wrote:
> Dragan Noveski wrote:
>
>> Robin Gareus wrote:
>>
>>> come on Dragan, even you
>>>
>> hey, what means 'even me' ??
>>

> sorry. kind of a colloquial teaser ;) - i should have been more subtle
> since that "Foul lang" thread.  /nothing personal/  (the 14'56" Brecker
> version)

i did not joined that thread, so writing my comment here i was laughing!

>>> could have dug up "Omnidirectional" ;)
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Microphone_polar_patterns
>>>

>>> cheers,
>>> robin
>>>

>> thx robin, i was even lookin at wikipedia, but not patient enough.
>>

> i just scrolled and looked at the images there; I didn't actually read
> it :)

looks like a nice article.

>> but as i realized that you are involved here, i was thinking at is much
>> easier to ask for a translation.
>>
>> omnidirectional sound good!
>>

> to resume the original subject: search the web for field-recording
> equipment and microphone characteristics. - Many movie and TV
> productions do have information about outdoor-recording setups!
>
> it also highly depends on the application:
>  if you want to "aim" at a bird or if you want to capture the whole
> surroundings.
>
> 0Hz does not always make sense. adding a low cut increases the
> dynamic-range, but then again it all depends on the speakers used for
> listening to the end-product: cinema-PA, car-stereo, audio-books,.. ?

i would think on this at mastering level, but generally it should sound
good everywhere?

> the low-budget solution is to buy one of those battery powered old
> MiniDisc-condenser mics.

thats true, there is a sony-ecm... electret series, you can get as
stereo mic.
i did some experiments with it - you should not compare to
neumann/shoeps condenser, but it works too, if the recordings are for
own collection and not for making a vinyl (or cd) release of it.

cheers,
doc