[LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 10:48:54 EDT 2007

On 4/10/07, Brad Fuller <brad at sonaural.com> wrote:

> Mike Taht wrote:
>
> > But I'm WAAAY out of my depth here as to how to get the best recording
> > of the outdoors.
>
> hello neighbor,
>
> Did you try PZMs? Could be great for your particular situation.

Never crossed my mind. Interesting. I can certainly see the wind noise
dropping out, and perhaps I'd capture the scrabbling of a squirrel on a tree
that way....

I've mostly been thinking a pair of fairly small diaphram mics like gefell
M930 **would do well, or something similar, and even smaller, like the M200
or M300 series. I'm still researching for mics with the lowest self noise
possible - at these low volumes that strikes me as critical. Also,
resistance to temp changes....

Yesterday I picked up a presonus digimax FS 8 mic preamp. As I have a
rme-multiface which can do 96k the ADAT lightpipe support sold me, and long
term the ability to put in sends struck me as useful. The reviews seemed
good.

I think what I'm going to do is put *all* my mics out there, record ~8
tracks with the above unit and my other pres, then listen to what works...
fill up a few hard disks....

Last night we had a very light drizzle and recording this morning would have
been PERFECT - no wind, that sort of dampened feeling you get from fog, yet
not too damp, and birds, birds, everywhere, in 3 dimensions.....

Maybe just my cheaper mics... I hate the idea of the damp killing 'em.

I am grateful for the ton of mail from everyone on this topic, but I have to
run out today before I can absorb it all, I'll comment more this evening.

(nice blog, brad -
http://bradfuller.com/blog/2007/02/08/the-ultimate-multimedia-environment-part-1-back-to-the-past/I'd
be loading up my player right now with the podcasts from GDC 2007 but
can't find them so far)

--
> brad fuller
> http://www.Sonaural.com/