[LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Apr 11 17:59:26 EDT 2007

Paul Winkler wrote:
> For vocals, I like my MXL V67G and my Sennheiser 421.
>
> For acoustic guitar I don't currently have a mic I really like.  The
> V67G is tolerable, as is the 421, as is my MXL V57 (flatter mids than
> the V67 but more harsh on top).  But none of them are really ideal for
> guitar.  I've heard the small-diaphragm MXL 603 is a good value, they
> go for around $100, I've been meaning to try that.  For $200 or so you
> could also check out the AKG 535 which doubles as a very very nice
> handheld mic.

nice overview! I lost track of low budget mics, a while ago. thanks!

IMO most Mics between $300 and $700 don't make sense. Either you want
sth. cheap or you want sth. professional! ("you" is "me" here. lol)

Audiotechnica does make great affordable mics. I can recommend the
AT4033a for "rock/pop" home recordings.  - you might be able to get an
AT4033 for < $250.

I would not be able to express it with "flatter mids" or "harsh" words.
It basically just sounds as great the original sound-source and it's not
too picky about angle & position. see the specs:
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/964b385a2568a4f6/index.html
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/product_images/09784de3cae20fd5/orig/at4033cl_freq.jpg

or listen to it in use: AT4033 used one for acoustic guitar, vocals,
electric guitar(s): 1m in front of a 2x12'' Fender Twin; percussion,
snare and hi-hat: sure sm58 and the AT.  Base-drum and Overheads are
from a midi-keyboard; Bass-guitar is DI (past a BOSS CS-3). the sax-solo
got lost: http://robin.linuxaudio.org/stay_today.mp3

nowadays I rarely record at home, and tend to lend or rent a Neumann
(the "classic" KM184 or sth. appropriate) - For the rare spontaneous
occasions the AT4033 is still great and versatile. (thanx Oma Resi - she
bought it for me ~5 years ago)

> I still want to find a good small-diaphgragm condenser. Or maybe some
> ribbon mics, yum.
>
> I'm not a fan of the C1000. Here's an interesting post about why it
> sometimes works fine and sometimes is awful:
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/browse_thread/thread/eab8c6400a4f4fa0/369fcee1b26201ba?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#369fcee1b26201ba

I also like Harvey's other comment on the C1000 on this page.
and I've never heard about the "Oktava MK012" before -
http://www.mojopie.com/mk012.html

cheers,
robin