[LAU] Help needed @ fortnightly workshops & summer festival, Reading UK

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Apr 12 02:04:40 EDT 2007

Hello,

In February last year I started some faltering fortnightly arts workshops in
Reading, UK, with six machines running Kubuntu Linux at the heart of the
operation. The workshops were part of Remix Reading, a pioneering free
culture project that aimed to bring the gospel of free culture and free
software to the ordinary, non-geeky people of Reading. The workshops stalled
because of a lack of time and money to get them going regularly.

Well now the workshops are back and running regular as clockwork, being run by
Remix Reading's successor - RAVE. They're current "analogue", in that the
computers are dormant and they're based around media like good old fashioned
instruments, graffiti and dance. They're being funded by income from parties
and gigs so the money is no longer a worry.

But I no longer live in Reading, and they need help with the Linux boxes!

If you live near enough and could spare a Saturday or two to go in and fix
them up, help them learn how to use Kubuntu and some audio production
software, and get the networking sorted, RAVE and I would be eternally
grateful!

The next workshop is on Sat 21st April from midday, and every fortnight
thereafter.

The main work that would interest this list is setting the machines up with
suitable software for music production, and helping the people there learn to
use it. The workshop attendees are mostly local kids, including some from a
refugee support group. The RAVE people are all sorts, but none of them have
any Linux experience.

Is anyone interested?  Oh, and they're putting on a summer festival that Linux
Audio could have a presence at:
http://www.mosaicfestival.com

Kind regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera