[LAU] Online resources/books for programming sound synthesis software?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Apr 12 09:28:33 EDT 2007

Hallo,
Thomas Janu hat gesagt: // Thomas Janu wrote:

> More specifically I'm looking for commented code examples/tutorials
> on how to emulate sound synthesis, so writing oscillators, filters
> and so on as well as nice examples of the ``big picture'' so that i
> can see how it's all put together to form a synth. That'd be really
> nice.

Pure Data's source code isn't heavily commented, but written in a
clear and structured way. If you browse the CVS at pure-data.sf.net
you will also see the code for hundreds of "externals", that is, Pd
plugins doing synthesis and other stuff. This should be enough source
code to get you started. To understand how externals are structured,
you may want to read the Externals HOWTO first:
http://iem.at/pd/externals-HOWTO/ You could also just write or modify
some Pd externals first and let Pd do the housekeeping of talking to a
soundcard etc. for now.

Of course the other synthesis environments like SuperCollider, CSound
etc. are open source as well, I just don't know their source that
good, so I cannot recommend on how useful they are.

For a written introduction to writing synthesis code in (K&R) C I
would very much recommend F. Richard Moore's classic book "Elements of
Computer Music".

Ciao