[LAU] Re: [linux-audio-user] Mplayer JACK output in Ubuntu Edgy?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Apr 12 10:04:54 EDT 2007

Louis Acresti wrote:
> I posted a topic about this on the Ubuntu user forums
> (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2354233#post2354233),
> but I figured LAU was well-suited for this query as well:
>
> Lately I've been using an external USB synthesizer as my main
> soundcard in ubuntu (much better than my onboard) but a lot of apps I
> use don't support JACK, which is the only way (and the preferable way)
> to get audio output.

there are a few "workarounds" eg. kfusd: oss <-> jack or alsaplug.
search the LAU archive for "VOIP and JACK"

> The one app that I really wish worked with JACK (out of the box) was
> Mplayer. I really want JACK audio output with mplayer, but I don't
> want to compile mplayer myself. Does anyone know of a binary .deb of
> mplayer that contains support for JACK (ala mplayer -ao jack) ?

not sure if the works w/ Ubuntu; add:
   deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
to /etc/apt/sources.list

I run debian-sid' not 'etch' and mplayer works with jack out of the box!

HTH,
#robin