[LAU] Questions from an audiophile to some engineers

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Thu Apr 12 11:09:49 EDT 2007

> If I mixed and mastered for your system, you would love the disk but no
> one
> else would buy it. Problem is that the disk will be played on your or my
> good
> stereo system, a good or dismal boombox, a good or midling mp3 player from
> downloads or wripping, or worst of all, the radio (but without that one,
> it
> may never be played at all!).
>
> So an engineer must try out the mix on a variety of playback systems and
> try
> to make it sound great on all of them. Possible?
What I'm hearing is distortion created by the artifact of compression.
What i'm speaking of is the cropping of the lower and uppper frequencies
and boosting of the midrange.

Cymbols sound aweful no matter what system you play them on when
compression is used. Of course, it depends on the amount of compression
you apply,  but I just feel it's wrong to ask me to pay money for music
that has been deliberately scewed-up.

Given a good recording, without compression kick drums don't sound
muffled, the decay of instruments is present and cymbols sound metallic
and not ceramic.

How could that be a bad thing on any system?  Does decay, air and body
sound bad on a boombox or a cheep reciever? I know you may not beable to
detect them, but that's not the same thing as bad.

Bearcat