[LAU] Routing Audio Around A Network

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Thu Apr 12 12:01:59 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 10:11:16AM -0400, Jim Eastman wrote:
> Hey-
>
> A friend of mine is having some issues moving audio around a network.
> Me being not all that good at this stuff myself was at a loss as to
> how to help him. I was hoping somebody here may be able to offer some
> advice.

Have you tried using vlc?

vlc provides for pretty sophisticated routing across multiple transports, and
with data transformations.  All of this can be specified using a slightly
arcane, but relatively understandable command-line syntax (vlc can be run
without a GUI at all).

For instance, the following command reads raw audio data from stdin and
broadcasts RTP over the network:

vlc --intf dummy - :no-video :sout=#std{access=udp,dst=239.0.0.0:15000}

But things can be a lot more sophisticated than that!  Various transformations
can be strung together like UNIX pipes, all within vlc's processing framework.
You just modify the conversion string in the command to further process the
stream, or even fork it to push audio data to multiple destinations.

Relevant docs are here:

http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/streaming-howto-en.html

-Forest