[LAU] best cheap mic(s) for acoustic / vocal recording?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Apr 12 13:20:50 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 05:57:25PM +0200, Ctirad Fertr wrote:
> >  Guess
> > i also have to ask mic pre or mixer? I don't need a mixer for anything
> > else... so i'm thinking seperate mic pre. Is solid state or tube
> > better at the cheap end? A few companies seem to have $100 tube mic
> > pre's.
>
> The preamps in cheap mixing consoles are generally very poor. Standalone
> preamp is definitely a better idea. I mean something like M-audio DMP3 (two
> channel solid state, great for stereo recordings) quite or Studio Projects
> VTB-1 (one channel solid state + tube).

I don't know those preamps, but reputedly the DMP3 is improved over
Maudio's previous models (eg. they deliver real 48V phantom power;
previous models delivered much less than 48 volts.)

But to consider the alternative: You can get a Mackie 1202 VLZ for
$300 US. Less if you buy used. I doubt you can buy two channels of
anything for less money that's really better than the Mackie preamps.

If you buy the Mackie you get a mixer and two extra preamps for free
;-)

A better question would be, are the sub-$200 preamps good for YOUR
purposes.  That I cannot say.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com