[LAU] Online resources/books for programming sound synthesis software?

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 07:18:14 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 15:40 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> when learning to code, it's easier and more fun to start from scratch
> rather than jumping on some existing project!  - But I agree with Loki
> that linuxaudio is lacking resources and the wheel has been re-invented
> too often already..
>
> http://apps.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/software_sound_synthesis_and_music_composition_packages
> http://apps.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/softsynths_and_samplers
> http://apps.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/general_synthesis_packages

But there are so many it's a bit overwhelming. It would probably take a
week or two to try them all out. Maybe we need a rating system so people
can spot the good ones more easily.

It would also be good to know which GUI toolkit they use - I could only
really help out with GTK+ code.

(Though I have no real intention to write a synth anyway - I'm just
messing about to learn ALSA and JACK.)

> minor detail -  in the jack_process callback:
>
>  add   jack_port_get_total_latency(..) to  Note[i].oscillator_offset;

Can you explain that a bit more - why is it needed?

Thanks,

Damon