[LAU] Questions from an audiophile to some engineers

Bearcat M. Sandor HomeTheater at feline-soul.com
Fri Apr 13 12:16:44 EDT 2007

Charles,

I'm learning too, and i thank you all for that.

I'll have to play around with that LADSPA plug-in see what sound i get out
of it.

When you speak of compressing vocals do you mean removing the top and
bottom frequences which then accentuates the mid-range on some systems?

Bearcat

> I learned a lot about compression on this thread.  Limited experience
suggests that light-moderate compression improves vocals, and even heavy
compression can add a lot of oomph to a bass line.  The LADSPA
compressor that has produced the best results for me is the Dyson.

> Second what Geoff said.  As a musician, I've always strived to make
music pleasing to me and my friends in whatever situation it arises. As
a (newb) audio engineer, I try for the same -- a sound that pleases me.
As a listener/fan, don't listen to what you don't like or what doesn't
sound "good" on your system, but criticising the engineering is a little
silly because nothing will sound good to everybody in every environment.

> On 4/13/07, Geoff Beasley <songshop at bizmedia.com.au> wrote:
>> you know, audio is a totally subjective subject as is music itself; and
audio
>> has no other major purpose other than the reproduction of music.(a
movie consisting only of atmos,fx and dialogue isn't generally made and
distributed.sound installations are fine but are only available in the
"round".)